Ocean City NJ
Visit our New Jersey Shore, Ocean City NJ website at:
Ocean City NJ Brief History:
Around the time of the Revolutionary War, Ocean City NJ, a small island on the South Jersey Shore, was called “Peck’s Beach”. Farmers that used the high sand dunes to hide their livestock from pilferers were the only inhabitants of the island.
On September 10th, 1879, Methodist Clerics Wesley Lake, Ezra Lake, James Lake and William Burrell, sailed to Peck’s Beach looking for an area to establish a Christian Resort. They toured the island and decided that they had found the ideal location. They dedicated themselves under the shade of a small cedar tree, which still stands on the southwest corner of the Tabernacle Grounds at 6th Street & Asbury Avenue. The town of Ocean City NJ was incorporated on October 20, 1879.
The Tabernacle was built in 1881 and stood until 1957, when it was replaced with the building that stands today. Religious Services are held every Sunday through the summer.
Since the late 1800’s, the population of Ocean City has grown rapidly. It remains a premier summer destination, boasting eight miles of beautiful sandy beaches and two and a half miles of Boardwalk. Located just one hour from Philadelphia and two hours from New York, Ocean City NJ is the perfect summer getaway for all ages.