Point Pleasant NJ
Visit our New Jersey Shore, Point Pleasant NJ website at:
Point Pleasant NJ Brief History:
The land known as Point Pleasant Beach, inhabited by the Lenni Lenape Indians in 1609, was first spotted by the Sea Captain Henry Hudson from the deck of his ship, the "Half Moon" as he made his way north up the New Jersey Shore. The Borough of Point Pleasant was not established until several hundred years later - June 2, 1886.
Quaker Settlers arrived in the area during the 1700's. In the early 1800's, summer tourism began when local farmers started to open thier houses to boarders. Typically charging $8.00 a week, tourists would get room & board as well as a wagon ride to the beach.
In the 1870's, Sea Captain John Arnold bought land and built a roadway to the ocean - now known as Arnold Avenue. Shortly afterwards, train service from New York and Philadelphia began, with the first train arriving on July 3, 1880.
To attract more investors, in 1877 the Point Pleasant Land Company bought 250 acres and began selling lots. In 1878 a horse drawn tolley began service for tourists.
The boardwalk was not built until 1890. However, it was a shappy structure that blew away two years later. The amusement area was switched to Clark's Landing on the Manasquan River. It was not until 1915 that the permanent boardwalk was installed along the beachfront. It ran the entire length of Point Pleasant Beach, however, the hurricane of 1938 shortened it to it's present length.
The boarwalk began to see many more amusements and attractions as Orlo Jenkinson built Jenkinson's Swimming Pool & Pavilion in the late 1920's. Within a short time, the boardwalk was full of big bands and dancing.
Point Pleasant NJ has remained a premier Jersey Shore Boardwalk, with a first class aquarium, rides, live entertainment and amusements. Downtown Point Pleasant boasts a thriving shopping district with a myriad of premiere antique establishments, making the area a great location for all ages.